As of today, those settlements are no longer deep in the West Bank, except in the mind of CNN.
After over 20 years of waiting, the new/old highway finally opened – and JoeSettler was there.
To begin with, the ride from Tekoa to Har Homa (which is in Jerusalem) gate-to-door takes less than 10 minutes. I was driving slow, so it may actually be as little as 8 minutes.
Can you imagine that?
Tekoa, constantly described as a radical settlement deep in the West Bank is less than a 10 minute drive from Jerusalem.
Still, it’s not without its peril.
First you have to drive by Herodian (you can see Herodian’s grave from the highway, it’s covered with a big blue tarp), so don't get distracted.
Then you get to the traffic circle. This is where it gets confusing. To the right is Herodian, Behind you, Tekoa, Nokdim, and all the rest, what remains are 2 other roads with big red warning signs telling you that you are about to enter Area A (which is under enemy occupation) and it is forbidden and dangerous to go this way.
Ignore it. Keep going straight, right past that sign. Drive another 8 minutes on this highway.
Say hello to the soldiers operating the check post, and boom see the Haftziba tower at the edge of Har Homa.
At this point it’s left for Har Homa or right for Derech Hevron.
"Deep" in the West Bank. Feh.
Muqata War Updates
JoeSettler on Twitter
- ► 2011 (44)
- ► 2010 (109)
- ► 2009 (277)
- ► 2008 (390)
- "Deep" in the West Bank
- It's Opening Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Israel in a Minute (or two)
- My fifth favorite food
- Oy! Peres it at it again
- So much for the wall
- Chazan with Chazon!
- Divesting from Yuli Tamir
- Iran is the Israel of the Arab World
- Is war around the corner?
- Double your Mitzvah before Ein Kitzvah!
- So what do you think of your candidate?
- The story everyone missed
- The Giving Tree Strikes Back
- Bibi Lost
- I've got my gask mask, have you got yours?
- Spinning in his grave
- Real News
- Just Copying Jameel
- It’s OK to criticize Israel
- Following Orders
- Fastest Way to Travel Through Israel
- When life gives you lemons....
- You support Israel, why?
- Carving up the Center
- "Who me?"
- The Bubble Bursts
- If it ain’t broke…
- Jerusalem Municipality to Settlers: Stay Away
- Why are Israelis so afraid of real democracy?
- The Alephbet in Stars
- 72 Virgins
- ▼ August 2007 (32)
- ► 2006 (333)