Eretz Yisrael Time

Powered by WebAds
Monday, August 27, 2007
After my mother's cooking, my top four favorite American food groups are:

  1. Deli (especially Abeles and Heymann franks and pastrami sandwiches)
  2. Chinese Food (especially Chosen Island/Garden)
  3. Steaks
  4. Pizza

But what is surprising is what makes # 5 on the list.

I love Israeli food in America.

Nothing beats going into a Main Street pizza store and ordering an Israeli salad with watery US style Israeli Tehina (and why can't I do that in Israel?)

Seriously.

Every Israeli-style meal I've eaten in New York (even this whole in the wall borekas shop I once found in the village) has been incredible. And don't get me started on the Galil restaurant in Manhattan, or HaPisgah in Queens.

There is something special about America. Israelis struggle all their lives in Israel to make ends meet, and suddenly they come to America and strike it rich. Israeli-style food is brought to America and suddenly it tastes really good. Israeli women...

I'm being serious.

I know why. I assume that the cooks are using (as in, able to get and afford) higher quality ingredients (or that is what is standardly sold in the stores). It's the only logical explanation. I doubt they cook it differently.

I remember once working on a Kibbutz and seeing a quality of fruit that I've never seen in Israel (that's the stuff that gets exported).

As for the cars, it is just that its easy for an Israeli to buy a Hummer in America, when it cheaper than buying a Skoda in Israel.

I've been experimenting with making Techina lately. I'm trying for the same taste and texture. No luck yet. Anyone have any suggestions (besides a round trip ticket).

1 comments:

Yitzchak Goodman said...

Israeli women...

Does Mrs. Settler read your blog?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Powered by WebAds
    Follow the Muqata on Twitter
      Follow JoeSettler on Twitter
      Add to favorites Set as Homepage

      Blog Archive


      Powered by WebAds